Wednesday

Ruffled Scarves
Above is the first scarf I made using netted yarn.   I never knew this yarn had existed. It was my Zia Rae that turned us on to it.  She had sent my mom a ball of it, mom could not see enough to navigate the netting so she passed it on to me, as she sometimes does when she becomes frustrated with a knitting project.
The results turned out to be very lovely, and in turn became a money maker for me.
I wore my scarf but a few times to work. Each time I wore the scarf I had admiring eyes watching me. My co-workers know my talents.  One co-worker  requested  of  me to make one for her, that request turned into the next request, then another and another.   Before I knew it I was pumping scarves out like a machine.   I lost count of how many I made.  Honestly, I couldn't even keep the yarn in stock.

Karma, is a belief I live by each day and giving is part of Karma.  I donated more then  one of these scarves to charity and have given a few away, just because   That donation, brought in yet more requests for scarves!  I also received a request to teach a class in how to knit the ruffled scarves.  Before I knew it I had filled the class and have taught two Ruffled Scarf knitting classes since as other knitting classes as well.  That's Karma for you.

While knitting my bounty I ran into some interesting problems with the material/yarn namely... a  gaping hole in the netting.  I didn't see that coming in advance, it is only until your well into your project and, .....There it is.  Now what to do with the hole, I certainly did not want to rip back, this yarn is not exactly easy to rip back.  It is delicate yarn to work with.  What I discovered was to simply pick up the row below the "Gaping" hole, then knit it.  

Then there were the Giant Knots.  Again, you didn't see the knots at the beginning of the project.   So what to do with the knots.   I simply knitted around them, in so doing hid the knots at the center of of the scarf.

My resolve  in the less then average Sashy yarn  was to feel for the knots as best as possible upon selecting the ball of yarn you want to use for your projects. 

I could have purchased another brand and a more expensive brand but that would not have allowed me to sell the scarves at a reasonable price.  As all DIYers have found, we never get back the time we put into our projects.   Accept of course the good Karma that comes back to us.

Most of the yarn for the project was purchased from, http://www.marymaxim.com/  I find that you get about the same price as you would if you purchased from Joann's Fabrics or Michael's.   Hobby Lobby does not carry Sashy but has other types and brands.   Somethng to keep in mind when purchasing yarn for the Ruffled Scarf is to pay attention to the amount of yards per ball.  The more yards you have of yarn, the longer the scarf. 

With many scarves behind me and good Karma earned.  I wonder if the Ruffled Scarf will be popular this Fall/Winter.


 

No comments: